Friday, September 21, 2012

Van Morrison's "America"

One of the most cool things about having children is eventually they will enlighten you and open your eyes to things you never would have seen otherwise. Now I have loved music from my earliest memories. Through my entire life music has played an important part. From KISS to Elvis to Pink Floyd and Van Morrison music surrounds me in so many ways.

Anyway during the past few months my youngest boy, Kevin (21) has been heard praising "Van and the Man" and especially his 1968 album "Astral Weeks". Hearing this I had proceeded to have many conversations with Kevin about Van Morrison. Although Van Morrison was always one of my most respected musicians I had kinda lost touch with him. That's until Kevin reminded me of his greatness and uniqueness.

Van Morrison may be the most soulful and peaceful musician I have ever heard. Especially when times are tough, sad, depressing and during moments of happiness much of his music will find meaning and and bring comfort. It is truly amazing.

Re-exploring Van Morrison's discology has been amazing and I thank Kevin for that. Anyway one of the little know gems I have found was "Take It Where You Find It" from 1978's "Wavelength" LP. What's very cool and enlightening is hearing Van Morrison, an Irishman singing about "America". In these months of a heated election it is probably a good idea to relax and look back at how other's see our great nation.... no matter who happens to be president or what party he is from from.

Van the Man keeps the message simple and reminds us of the greatness of "America". In doing so we are, as my youngest boy reminded me why Van Morrison is simply referred to as "Van the Man".

I especially appreciate the lyrics I have bolded.

"Take It Where You Find It"

Men saw the stars at the edge of the sea They thought great thoughts about liberty Poets wrote down words that did fit Writers wrote books Thinkers thought about it

Take it where you find it Cant leave it alone You will find a purpose To carry it on Mainly when you find it Your heart will be strong About it

Manys the road I have walked upon Manys the hour between dusk and dawn Manys the time Manys the mile I see it all now Through the eyes of a child

Take it where you find it Cant leave it alone You will find a purpose To carry it on Mainly when you find it Your heart will be strong About it

Chorus: Lost dreams and found dreams In america In america In america Lost dreams and found dreams In america In america In america

And close your eyes Leave it all for a while Leave the world And your worries behind You will build on whatever is real And wake up each day To a new waking dream

Take it where you find it Cant leave it alone You will find a purpose To carry it on Mainly when you find it Your heart will be strong About it

Repeat chorus

Change, change come over Change come over Talkin about a change Change, change Change come over, now Change, change, change come over

Im gonna walk down the street Until I see My shining light Im gonna walk down the street Until I see My shining light Im gonna walk down the street Until I see My shining light Im gonna walk down the street Until I see My shining light I see my light See my light See my shining light I see my light See my light See my shining light

Repeat chorus two times & fade

No comments:

Post a Comment