Monday, October 1, 2012

I have to admit I have only been listening to Van Morrison recently. And that’s because of my youngest boy, Kevin who I heard recently referring to “Van the Man”. Don’t get me wrong friends. Van Morrison has always been on my musical radar. Very respected and one of the best. However I have always been more of a Pink Floyd man. However, once again thanks to Kevin I have been re-exploring the music of Van Morrison these past couple of months. I must say his soulful and introspective music at 47 really strike home.

Kevin has often told me that Morrison’s 1968 “Astral Weeks” is not only Morrison's best release but one of the best albums ever released hands down. Kevin is right “Astral Weeks” is amazing and was no doubt far ahead of its time. Long introspective songs in which the lyrics never ever repeat themselves.

However every time I hear 1979’s “Into the Music” I am moved. This to me is Morrison at his very best. Each and every song here is soulful, down to earth and spiritual. I really love every single song on this release. However there are a couple standouts you should check out. I do however recommend purchasing the CD or iTunes version and listening to the entire album from start to finish.

1. “Bright Side of the Road” – I have been listening to music since my earliest memories. This is perhaps the best “good feeling” song I have ever heard. No matter my mood or what is happening in my life this song always makes me feel better about things.

2. “Troubadours” - I am not really well versed in “troubadours” but I can tell you this is one cool song.

3. “And The Healing Has Begun” – Yes another example of Morrison not caring about the 3 minute song mark and simply taking his time telling a story with amazing music. This particular song also to me magnifies why Morrison is so far ahead of other musicians. At the 4:49 mark this song almost takes a “rap” turn. This is 1979 friends! Simply amazing.

4. “Rolling Hills” – Van makes me want to visit England in under 3 minutes!

As I reported this entire album is amazing. This is one great Van Morrison album and one of the highlights of the 34 he has released up onto now. There is simply not one single wasted note here. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment