Monday, September 3, 2012

Enter Mr. Blue Sky

On this rainy holiday Monday the wife went out to do what wives do... shopping. Once my chores were done I looked around with the rain pouring outside wondering what to do. I decided to grab a pint and play some vinyl.

Not sure of what I was in the mood for I browsed through my LP Browser and selected 1977's "Out of the Blue" by Electric Light Orchestra. This LP holds a very special place in my music heart. That's because way back in 1977 as I was walking home from school (Saint Agnes) I walked into the Mad Platter with a few dollars to burn. Browsing the records (much like I did only today) I came upon this ELO album with a wonderful depiction of a space station and space ship on the cover. If you know me you know I love me some good science fiction. That is true now as it was true throughout my entire life. Anyway without ever hearing a note from this particular album I found myself at the record store counter making the purchase. Eagerly I arrived home, threw my school books to the ground, opened the album and placed record 1 (it's a 2 record set) and placed it on my turntable. From that first moment ELO has been one of my favorite bands. Their mix of science, space, complex orchestrated music and lyric has appealed to me. At 13 (as I was that day) or 47 ELO is amazing.

Anyway this particular album is wonderful throughout. Today as it rained outside, Side 3 which is titled "Concerto for a Rainy Day" was appropriate. The last song on this side, "Mr. Blue Sky" is a great upbeat tune as it describes the sun appearing after a long period of rain. See the video below!

If you have never heard this album check it out today. It is pure 1970's magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment