Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Piper aat the Gates of Dawn

This new venture is not exactly technology but it will cover perhaps the most technology and science related rock band of all time. That of course would be "Pink Floyd". If you are a well informed and dedicated reader you certainly are aware of my love of "Pink Floyd". Anyway sitting pool side on our Cape May summer vacation and reading "Pink Floyd - Uncensored On the Record" by Bob Carruthers a great idea or perhaps vision over whelmed me.



Why don't I attempt to listen to every single Pink Floyd album while on this vacation and write a short review of each one for you, my dedicated readers? Although I agreed to myself to attempt this It must be stated that I may not accomplish this Herculean task while actually at the shore as I thought of it about half way through the vacation.  Of well, no problem.... I will complete it post vacation if it comes to that. 

"The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (1967)

The Floyd's first release finds Syd Barrett in command along with Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason.  This album was created after quite a few single releases beforehand (which was very common at the time) so although there is much polish to it, it is a little uneven in presentation.  While songs such as "Astronomy Domine" and "Power R. Toc H." are signs of things to come the majority of the songs are deep 60's freak out music. There is a lot to enjoy here and this LP will live on in history as a great example of the late 60's music scene as well as launching the career of Pink Floyd..... Although big changes were just around the corner and one that almost destroyed the band.  

My Favorite Songs

"Lucifer Sam" - one of my favorite Syd Barrett songs and it also has me thinking that this would be a great tune in a 007 film.

"Power R. Toc H."  - Freaks me out every time I hear it.

"Take Up The Slethoscope and Walk". - Oh Syd you were really one "out there" dude.

"Astronomy Domine" This one in particular demonstrates what is to come from Pink Floyd. This one would continue to be performed live by Pink Floyd until the end. David Gilmour still performs it from time to time.  A classic

Album Rating

5 out of 5.  Not their best - but it started it all and the only Floyd showcase of Syd in album form.

No comments:

Post a Comment